Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Buses, Traffic and Overloaded

The best laid plans of mice and men (and blogs) sometimes goes awry, but it can also get seriously derailed! It happens!

I didn't get to post at all on my trip like I wanted to. My sister doesn't have the Internet, and I was not going to have her wasting gas and money to drive 20+ miles round trip to use it everyday. Most of the newer Greyhound buses have WiFi, but the 2 buses I rode to get home were so crowded that using my laptop would have been very uncomfortable for me and my seat mate. Everybody and their children were wanting to go somewhere yesterday and early this morning on the bus. It was a nightmare!!

I started out my bus trip home 1 1/2 hours late. The first bus driver I had tried her darnedest to get us from Tuscaloosa, AL to Birmingham, AL to make up some of the time that was lost by an earlier driver driving a new route (for him/her) and missing a turn off to pick up other passengers. She literally drove on the shoulder of the road when we got jammed up in a multiple mile construction traffic jam! (Think rolling parking lot!) If she would have stayed in the lane behind several miles of traffic moving at 5 mph.....we would have NEVER gotten to the Birmingham bus stop before the bus I would have to take home left. I would have been waiting for the other bus that left later yesterday or waiting for the bus that left this morning! There would have been an entire other bus load of us that were headed north if that would have happened. I think she might have made up 20 minutes. But to add to the problem of the bus being late in the first place, Greyhound had way overbooked the buses, too. There were about 20 passengers along the route from Birmingham, AL to Bloomington, IL that got left at the various bus stations because there was no room on the bus for them to sit. Some of the passengers that got left behind were not happy campers! A couple of the passengers that HAD been on the bus, up until Nashville, got upset with the bus drivers and other employees at the bus station and got KICKED OFF the bus. They don't tolerate being sworn at or yelled at by passengers at all, and the drivers will tell passengers to watch their language on the bus if they hear someone swear. If you don't heed the warning and continue to swear, the driver WILL kick your behind off the bus at the next bus station. One guy got told that last night on the way to our St. Louis, MO stop. He didn't swear the rest of the trip to St. Louis. Smart dude!!

Well, enough of the trials, tribulations and crazy bus trip home. It WAS an experience, and I think I might reconsider taking Amtrak back to Alabama in late July....at least with Amtrak, for a little extra money....I can have a sleeper spot and not have to be cramped up in narrow seats with not enough leg room that results in very painful knees, leg cramps, and very little if any sleep.

So....here are some food tubes since picnic, outdoor parties, and cookout time is getting closer. I'll share some more of the papers and matching frames tomorrow. They are small enough for making tags. Here is what's in the file:



Here is the 4Shared link for this file. If you have any problems with the link, please leave me a note in the comments and I'll fix it.

Have a Great week!!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment